St. Francis School Confucius Classroom Scholastic Champion (2016 Louisville Dragon Boat Festival)
3rd Annual Louisville Dragon Boat Division Champion (2016)
President Ransdell Welcomes the 2016 CI Teachers (August 23, 2016)
2016 College of Education Certified Teacher Training in Beijing, China
2016 Owensboro Multicultural Festival (August 20, 2016)
2016 Young Leaders - Gatton China Trip
Established in April 2010, the Confucius Institute at WKU (CI at WKU) is aimed at disseminating the Chinese culture and language throughout the state of Kentucky. The CI at WKU recruits Chinese teachers from China, and strategically places the Chinese teachers in K-12 institutions throughout the state, offering Chinese language and culture classes. The CI at WKU serves as a regional center for Chinese teacher training, and Chinese curriculum development at the K-12 level. The CI at WKU is a conduit for Chinese language and culture programming.
WKU CI Goals:
- Engages in outreach to local educational institutions, businesses, government and community members.
- Offers cultural programming, language education and K-12 summer programs.
- Provides teacher training, professional development opportunities, and language proficiency exams for students, teachers and the community.
- Encourages WKU students to travel and study in China by offering study abroad scholarships.
- Works to strengthen library holdings of scholarly work on China.
- Enhances understanding and appreciation for the Chinese language and culture by sponsoring exhibits, performances (music, opera, theater), and an artist-in-residence program.